Picture a classy home dinner party: the table is set, the candles are lit, and there’s soft jazz playing faintly in the background. You’re having the party catered by your favorite local restaurant, and the main course smells delicious. Everything is ready for your guests to arrive…on Zoom?
Group gatherings have all but disappeared because of social distancing, but thanks to the internet, people are finding new ways to come together remotely. Impromptu Facetime sessions are great for a quick catch-up, but hosting a virtual dinner party is an intentional way to put the focus on good food and good friends. Here’s our top tips for hosting a virtual dinner party.
- Send evites. Send some happiness to your guests’ inboxes with virtual dinner invitations. Platforms like Paperless Post, Punchbowl, and Smilebox make it easy to create and send evites and receive RSVP. Don’t forget to include your meeting link!
- Plan the menu. While there’s nothing wrong with each of your guests eating a different meal, planning a themed menu or deciding on the same dish will make you feel as if you’re all really at the table together. This is especially easy if you all choose the same restaurant to order takeout from. We’re still in our kitchen cooking up your favorite Southern dishes, like Fried Green Tomatoes and Shrimp ‘n Grits.
- Don’t forget the drinks. You can’t do a digital toast if you have nothing to “clink” with! Decide on a cocktail of choice that goes with your theme, or ask that everyone BYOB.
- Plan an activity (or two). Avoid that dreaded post-dinner lull by having an activity planned and ready to go. From word games and trivia to free gaming apps, there are plenty of things you can play, no equipment required. Check out this list of virtual party game ideas.
- Know when to sign off. As the hostess, it’s your job to politely dismiss your guests before they’re tempted to switch screens. Set a time limit for your party and try to end on a high note. That way, no one will feel awkward excusing themselves if the party runs a little late.
Even if you and your crew can’t join us for dinner, we can still help you throw the perfect virtual dinner party by cooking festive foods and delicious desserts for you and your guests. Order online or give us a call at (843) 757-0508 to place your order for curbside pickup!