As one of the most popular beverages in the nation, there’s no question that coffee “steeps” into our culture. Whether you enjoy cradling a mug on the couch, grabbing a Frappuccino® on the way to work, or chatting with friends over skinny lattes, it’s hard to imagine a day without coffee. And there’s good news: science says you don’t have to.
Coffee – even if decaffeinated – delivers a wide range of health benefits. While that doesn’t mean you should drink a full pot every day, a cup of coffee can be part of a well-balanced diet. Besides giving you an energy boost, here’s why you may want to consider drinking coffee regularly.
- It’s high in antioxidants. Coffee is an excellent source of antioxidants, which help fight free radicals in your body. Free radicals are molecules that contribute to some chronic diseases, like diabetes and cancer. Coffee contains exceptionally high polyphenols, the same antioxidant found in red wine, berries, and dark chocolate.
- It can improve dental health. We’re coining a new phrase: “a cup of coffee a day keeps the dentist’s drill away.” Strong black coffee neutralizes bacteria on teeth, which would otherwise cause decay.
- It can improve your physical performance. Caffeine stimulates your nervous system, which signals your body to break down fat cells, so you have a source of long-lasting energy. It also increases epinephrine (adrenaline) levels in your blood, preparing your body for intense physical exercise.
- It protects your liver. Both regular and decaf coffee seem to benefit your liver. Research shows that coffee drinkers are more likely to have liver enzyme levels within a healthy range than people who don’t drink coffee.
- It can help you focus. Say goodbye to early morning brain-fog. When caffeine absorbs into the bloodstream, it travels straight to your brain and blocks the inhibitory neurotransmitter adenosine. When this happens, the number of other neurotransmitters like norepinephrine and dopamine increases, leading to enhanced neurons’ firing.
- It improves your mood. Need we say more?
If you enjoy its taste and can tolerate its caffeine content, then you should feel free to enjoy a cup of coffee – especially when it’s paired with a delicious breakfast or brunch. Join us for breakfast Mon-Fri (9-11 am), Sat (8-11 am), Lunch Mon-Sat (11-3 pm), or for Sunday brunch (8 am-2 pm) to try one of our egg scrambles, Challah French Toast, or award-winning Shrimp and Grits on our sunny patio, mug in hand.
Can’t make it for breakfast? Take our delicious coffee, roasted by May River Coffee Roasters, home with you!
Now you can order our favorite blends from May River Coffee Roasters online! Leslie Rohland, our chef (and coffee connoisseur), creates each gourmet roast. We recommend trying one of May River Coffee Roaster’s unique flavors, like Blueberry Cream, Chocolate Covered Oranges, or Gingerbread House. Click here to visit May River Coffee Roaster’s official website!