Small weddings are trending, and not just because they’re easier on the wallet. Modern couples are opting for a more intimate affair to maximize the quality time they have to spend time with their close friends, family, and each other. With only the nearest and dearest on your guest list, it’s easier to combine traditions, coordinate a destination wedding in the Lowcountry, and throw an oh-so-you reception.
The Cottage is well-known for our gorgeous wedding cakes, but we can also accommodate small wedding and elopement receptions as well. Have the ceremony at the shore of the May River, on a dock, or in the green next to Gigi’s, then pop over to The Cottage’s charming event space for a party your guests will never forget.
Ready to start planning? Here’s our advice on how to throw the small wedding of your dreams.
- Keep it small. Seriously. While tightening the guest list may seem obvious, it’s harder than you think when you consider everyone who has impacted your relationship. Invite only those you and your spouse love and care deeply about, and who has played a significant role in your lives within the past year.
- Stay as a group. Whether your guests are coming from the next town over or flying hundreds of miles to get here, have everyone stay in the same Bluffton hotel, Lowcountry resort or Hilton Head Airbnb for that nonstop-party feel.
- Surprise guests with welcome boxes. Party favors are a staple at any sized wedding, but for a smaller party, trade the traditional favors for a curated welcome box with items specific to the Lowcountry. Your guests will be delighted to sample locally grown teas, small batch roasted May River Coffee Roasters coffee and handmade pastries found right here at The Cottage.
- It’s all in the details. A small event is the perfect excuse to go above and beyond with extra-detailed decor. From handwritten invitations to perfect place settings, now you can curate every aspect of your big day.
- Catering is key. Your wedding meal is one of the most important parts of the day. From traditional southern fare like Loaded Jambalaya and award-winning Pimento Shrimp and Grits, to a fine selection of steaks and salads, our catering menu is sure to please every palate.
- Keep the party going. Instead of ending the night with a sendoff, take your entire guest list out on the town. Old Town Bluffton has a wide array of shops, bars, and restaurants for after-dinner drinks and late-night bites.
A small wedding allows you to spend your wedding day exactly the way you want. For more information on planning your wedding, custom wedding cakes, and available catering services, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.